Prepping for water crossings?

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #20305 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr created the topic: Prepping for water crossings?
With the next WSOB race in Caliente having several water crossings, I thought I might ask for some tips on prepping the car and prepping the driver for the water.

So anyone have some tips on car setup? What to keep dry if its possible?

Also how to negotiate water in a Class 11. Pin it across motor boat style? Or slow down and crawl across?

Personally I have not had to deal with a single wet creek crossing in my three years of racing Class 11! Seems like you could glide across pretty good and fast on the pan!?

How about it? Care to share some secrets?

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by DirtDgr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #20309 by Forcierer
Forcierer replied the topic: Prepping for water crossings?
I do not have any experience with the class 11 and water crossings, but I do have a lot with water crossings in general. What I will do on the class 11:

- distributor water proof kit

- snorkel for air inlet at the motor (not to long)

- a hose on the breather hole at the front of the trany (if the trany is hot it will cool down fast in water and this causes air will get sucked into the breather hole (if there is air and not water...)

- I have to check if there is anything on the carburator, too.

Driving: I found out if the water is deep and the crossing is a long way, it works best to drive a medium to slow speed. If the water is very deep it is also good to let the water inside the car. The car will stay on the ground and will have traction on the wheels. Water needs some time to move away from the front and to "push" you from the back, too. If you go too fast, the car will swim. If it does not swim to the other side, it will sink anywhere in the middle with spinning wheels and most of the time you get stucked like this. No garanty it works like this with the Class 11, too. With a 4x4 it is the best way.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Forcierer.

More
2 years 3 months ago #20352 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Prepping for water crossings?
Use liquid electric tape on everything that is 12V+

2013 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

More
2 years 3 months ago #20373 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Prepping for water crossings?
Haha! There was like one little puddle ;)

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds