Mounting items on the exterior of the Beetle Body

• M.E.A.D. Racing
  • Class 11 King
  • Class 11 King
  • Chuck Mead
More
3 years 4 months ago #19438 by M.E.A.D. Racing
M.E.A.D. Racing created the topic: Mounting items on the exterior of the Beetle Body
After watching the mean Maxtrax / Fireguys.
Can we legally mount tools / equipment to the exterior of the Beetle Body ( Shovels, Fire Ext, Tools, Parts) ??

Chuck Mead
M.E.A.D. Racing

619-520-8970

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #19464 by ronjon
ronjon replied the topic: Mounting items on the exterior of the Beetle Body
I've labored under the impression we cannot mount stuff outside.

2011 - VORRA Class Champions. 2012 - First loser.
http://www.desertdingo.com

More
3 years 3 months ago #19466 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Mounting items on the exterior of the Beetle Body
How about shock reservoirs?

Flags?

We probably don't want to go there lol!

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142

More
3 years 3 months ago #19467 by ronjon
We've labored under the impression you can't have anything that changes the exterior look of the car. Also not adding any holes. In Eric's case, he routes the shock reservoirs through the holes in the fenders otherwise used by the front turn signals.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #19468 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Mounting items on the exterior of the Beetle Body

ronjon wrote: We've labored under the impression you can't have anything that changes the exterior look of the car. Also not adding any holes. In Eric's case, he routes the shock reservoirs through the holes in the fenders otherwise used by the front turn signals.

Sure. But it sure changes the look even though I have no problem with it at all.

I don't think mounting the Maxtrax changes the look any more than big rockets hanging off the side of the car .

In fact the Maxtrax would look great mounted Calbug style like a surfboard on a rack. :woohoo:

Just for fun where is the rule that says Eric can remove the front turn signal lights? or the front headlights so they don't get broken when they are not needed? There are many things we do that are against the rules if taken too literally. It doesn't say I can remove my hubcaps on the stock rims either. One could go on and on.

In fact doing so is hard to resist...

Heck in my avatar pic at the left there. I am running cheap plastic painted vanilla icecream container covers (CPVICC) over my illegal removed headlights. Doesn't say I can do that right? Could be argued that it changes the look on the outside of the body.

The no tolerance "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" thing if taken the to extreme leaves no room for common sense. Nitpicking every little thing is a pain in the butt for promoters and enforcing the rules for five or six pain in the butt class 11s they have to tolerate.

again just having fun. This place needs some action! I should be working on the car!

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by DirtDgr.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #19469 by ronjon
Let's take the questions one at a time, shall we?

Just for fun where is the rule that says Eric can remove the front turn signal lights?
CR18 LIGHTS (Page 121 of the 2011-2015 SCORE rule book) - "Front and rear turn indicators are optional."

I am running cheap plastic painted vanilla icecream container covers (CPVICC) over my illegal removed headlights. Doesn't say I can do that right? Could be argued that it changes the look on the outside of the body.
CR18 LIGHTS (Page 121 of the 2011-2015 SCORE rule book) - "Headlights are optional for short course only. Stock headlights may be replaced with any brand so long as the original mounting position is used."

I don't think mounting the Maxtrax changes the look any more than big rockets hanging off the side of the car.
CR48 CHASSIS AND BODY (Page 126 of the 2011-2015 SCORE rule book) - "The vehicle must retain full stock chassis and body with no modifications allowed." Granted, this is a grey area regarding mounting stuff on the outside of the car. We weren't going to challenge the Maxtrax guys but the potential existed for someone to challenge them. It would behoove anyone to clear a modification with SCORE before doing it, IMHO.

The no tolerance "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" thing if taken the to extreme leaves no room for common sense. Nitpicking every little thing is a pain in the butt for promoters and enforcing the rules for five or six pain in the butt class 11s they have to tolerate.
Agreed. However if we identify a "common sense" change we want to implement, we contact SCORE Tech, ask them about it, and, if they agree, we ask them to provide us with a letter to demonstrate it's official.

For example, SCORE rules don't specifically allow or disallow quick release steering wheels. We wanted for for safety, so contacted SCORE and got the former Tech Director to write us a letter saying it's ok to use one. It's not that hard and they're open to ideas that improve safety.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Anyone else racing the Mint 400?

Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by ronjon. Reason: Because race car.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds