Dashboard Sheet Metal

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #21540 by PSmith
PSmith created the topic: Dashboard Sheet Metal
Hello,

After joining this site 8 years ago with the intentions of building an 11 car, I finally picked up a bug to get started on. Better late than never, right? :laugh:

The dashboard sheet metal on the body I have was cut up by the previous owner to install a stereo system and gauges... I plan to cover the dash area back up with a sheet aluminum, but was curious to know if I am going to get protested if I cut the remaining steel dash section behind the aluminum panel out to clean up the swiss cheese that the previous owner cut it up into.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #21543 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Dashboard Sheet Metal
Its possible that you could get protested. Who knows. If I was you I would change it back as its pretty easy before all the electrical is done.

I am in the same boat. I bought my car ready to race. Dash is cut. But its a huge undertaking to change it back. So I take my chances. There is no advantage to cutting it. I think it actually makes the body weaker as I have had issues in the dash area with cracks. So if I could change it back I would. But it would be very difficult.

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
The following user(s) said Thank You: PSmith

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #21547 by L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf replied the topic: Dashboard Sheet Metal
Whee are the cracks in your dash showing up?

DirtDgr wrote: Its possible that you could get protested. Who knows. If I was you I would change it back as its pretty easy before all the electrical is done.

I am in the same boat. I bought my car ready to race. Dash is cut. But its a huge undertaking to change it back. So I take my chances. There is no advantage to cutting it. I think it actually makes the body weaker as I have had issues in the dash area with cracks. So if I could change it back I would. But it would be very difficult.

Amonster Motorsports
Class 11 # 1196 - Sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- BarnWerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #21548 by DirtDgr

Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by DirtDgr.

More
8 months 1 week ago #21549 by DirtDgr
Might not be the only reason. But I would think a complete uncut dash area offers a bit of sheer strength with the beating and rattling these cars take.

I welded this crack and the other side as well and its held up since.

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds