Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2012 Baja 1000 11 footage

2012 Baja 1000 11 footage 4 years 5 months ago #18240

• DirtDgr
  • Class 11 King
  • Thank you received: 37
How about posting any 2012 Baja 1000 CLass 11 footage in this thread?

THis one has 1102 and 1103 torwards the end. But it is all good. Even the dude dancing lol!

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 2012 Baja 1000 11 footage 4 years 5 months ago #18241

• DirtDgr
  • Class 11 King
1101 @ 7:27 with 1102 right after
1149 @ 9:23

Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing

Re: 2012 Baja 1000 11 footage 4 years 5 months ago #18267

• Rooster
  • Co-Dog
  • Thank you received: 4
I was lucky enough to get to be on the FireGuys Team #1149 at the peninsula run this year. Picked the car up at Bahia de Las Angeles (Bay of LA) at daybreak. It was a pretty epic sight. We had a rear start and early engine problems that left us almost last into the pits. Tranny was a touch sticky so we just dropped her in second and started making up time. Fast running for 75 miles or so but there were lots of WICKED washouts and ditches that were almost invisible with the sun just cracking the horizon in our eyes. Able to weave around "most" of the car eaters and were averaging around 35 and looking good.
Then we went west and crossed the mountains in a low pass that was beautiful and the weather was just right for the car to climb switchbacks in the shade on fast roads. About that time we started losing horsepower. It was obviously an air/fuel/spark problem. As luck would have it it would turn out to be a combination of the three. Kicked over to electric fuel pump, changed coil and pushed on wires to distributor, and cleaned air filter. Of course it didn't actually go that smooth or fast in the field but its pretty boring drive tinker drive tinker process. Feeling good, car feelin good, running strong, passed through a truly Dr. Zeus like forest of saquaros cacti that were like 20 ft tall with 10 arms that two or three grown men couldn't put their arms around. Beautiful, but too worried about sticking a cactus arm through the window and impaling one of us (co driver Leroy Anderson) to catch more than a glimpse.
Then it happened. A lifetime of riding sand hills from dry river beds to the canyon lands to the high deserts of Wyoming couldnt prepare me for what we entered. The most wicked off road conditions in the world appear to be the sand and silt beds of Baja. Silt and sand for 50 miles without a break at least. It was like all the worst parts of Caliente Dusty Times this year in one place for one never ending time. It was a wide course section and the track was totally shot for a class 11. So we bush bashed for MILES and MILES, we got stuck several times, and these new fangled bright orange Max Trax thingies worked awesome. The mounts were so so and we toyed with the ARB air jacker rescue bag. It sucks (unless your rig is just off the lot without a SINGLE exhaust crack or loose clamp anywhere) The we used the max trax as shovels then just jammed em under the rear wheels, no jacking. Pretty quick. Lots of class 11 surfing and some help from the locals in a few tough spots got us to within five miles real roads.
At that point our tranny, which had slowly been deteriorating, gave up the ghost. That was it, race over. Team worked hard and we had fun. Slept by the road on Highway one surrounded by dogs and tarantulas at the bottom of jake brake hill. Oil tanker tipped and blew up just after we got off the road in the middle of the night, life was won land lost, and we worked our way home. Typical Baja. Good times, Co driver, KC #1149

Re: 2012 Baja 1000 11 footage 4 years 5 months ago #18270

• DirtDgr
  • Class 11 King
Thanks for the story!

Re: 2012 Baja 1000 11 footage 3 years 8 months ago #19204

• paulfrenchy
  • Co-Dog
  • Vive la France!
  • Thank you received: 2
Funny you talk about this, because I was lucky enough to be racing that same exact section just behind you guys. I remember the holes and ditches and we actually got stuck with the front bumper on one side of the 15' hole and the two rear wheels on the other side. I took us and hour to get out, but then we hit the horrible 50 miles of silt! I also used the maxtrax like 50 times and only had to jack up 2 times when we were way off the main road and had to turn back because the cactus got too think. Surprisingly we didn't get a flat after all the cactus we killed...
Man that was a tough spot, but we made it to san ignacio where we saw you guys and i fell asleep and the crew kept going.

PF
PF

Re: 2012 Baja 1000 11 footage 3 years 8 months ago #19215

• Rooster
  • Co-Dog
  • Thank you received: 4
Those Maxtrax are great. I called the owner, super cool inventor in Australia, and he is sent us on a goodwill tour to help limited class racers like 11's!!!! We are out on the road at Vegas to Reno, Huckfest, Parker, Lucerne, and the 1000. If anyone on the forum is going to be racing and wants a pair of MAXTRAX in exchange for prominently displaying them on the car and putting on a couple decals we can probably help you out. Try me on Facebook at MAXTRAX AMERICA on the road right now and thanks for the comment PF. It was a great race right! How far did your team make it? I think we DNF'd right around 550 or 600. Headed back this year for another go with Mark Murrell. You planning on returning? Retire those old MT to the chase vehicle and come get some new ones!
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds