Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video

2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video 2 years 9 months ago #19811

• TempeDogs
  • Boneyard Recruit
  • Pepe Azul #1162
  • Thank you received: 1

Great times at the Baja 500 for team 1162 Pepe Azul. Special thanks to three other 11 teams that helped us out or came by to say hello: Crusty of Desert Dingo, Kayla and Jeff Straight, and Dennis Hollenbeck and his team. Great times were had by all the 11 teams.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video 2 years 9 months ago #19815

• DirtDgr
  • Class 11 King
  • Thank you received: 37
Nice video! What tires are those?
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142

2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video 2 years 9 months ago #19816

• TempeDogs
  • Boneyard Recruit
  • Pepe Azul #1162
Goodyear Wranglers P235/75/R15. I like them. They are light and hold up remarkably well. They do not have the LT thick side wall or knobby tread of a lot of other tires I see 11 teams running. The LT sidewall is heavy and I'm always trying to keep weight down and the knobby tread can be hard on gears so I like a little tire slip to save the transaxle. We run tubes and Slime in the tubes. We ran one tire without a tube and it came off the bead at 2014 Primm and we rolled. I'm a firm believer in tubes now! In retrospect if I were buying new tires I would go for a similar light tire selection from BF Goodrich and take advantage of all the free pit services they offer at SCORE events. If you are thinking of racing SCORE the pit cost savings could be substantial to run BF Goodrich (not to mention they make a good tire and give great racer pit support too!).

2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video 2 years 9 months ago #19817

• DirtDgr
  • Class 11 King
  • Thank you received: 37
Cool man. Thanks for sharing your info!
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142

2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video 2 years 9 months ago #19818

• michaelbrenner
  • Class 11 King
  • Thank you received: 55
What finally took you out? What were your issues that day other than that nasty front rim?
2013 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

2014 Baja 500 Class 11 Pepe Azul 1162 Video 2 years 9 months ago #19819

• TempeDogs
  • Boneyard Recruit
  • Pepe Azul #1162
What took us out was a stretch of beach sand with two deep soft silty treads and a high center. We hit this too slow, bogged down, spun the wheels, and got stuck high centered. We jacked up the car, stuck branches under the tires, and would go another 20' before getting stuck again. We went through this a number of times at around 2am or 3am. I took the air pressure down to 10psi as a final attempt to get out of the sand and made no difference. So in the morning when we had a truck and six guys we pushed it out, drove it up a rocky wash, but with only 10psi in the tire so the rim bent like it was taffy! Our bigger setback issues came earlier in the race when we blew reverse gear around rm 30, then had a clogged carb jet around rm 50, then blew an oil line around rm 55. Back at Primm I saw you had a bunch of spare carbs and thought that was a good idea so I went and found a spare carb for us to carry in the chase. When our carb started acting up we needed our spare but were unable to communicate with chase and so could not get the carb. We did about five miles putting along only running decently at 3000-4000rpm and were unable climb hills decently which was a problem as the course was nearly all hills in this area. We pulled over on the side of the course in a remote area and Merlin rebuilt/cleaned the carb. That was one of the times we were sitting for an hour. We got lucky and the the carb ran great after the field cleaning. Shortly after that we blew an oil line on the cooler in the cabin and sprayed hot oil everywhere. We were looking good let me tell you. The reverse gear loss was a total pain as anytime we got stuck we had to push out, dig out, or get someone to pull us out. RM 40-70 were a bit of a saga for us and we thought might be the end of the race for us but then we rallied. From about 70 to 170 we were running and gunning. The course was great, engine ran like it was angry and wanted to go, it was a cool evening, chase got us a couple of excellent burritos, had Bob Marley cranking, and we ran that section of the course. All in all it was a blast.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds