Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

Intake modification

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #17834 by projectbaja
projectbaja created the topic: Intake modification
I am looking at doing the SCORE modification to the center dual port intake runner between the end castings.

I am not sure if I am reading the rules correctly about a slip tube and all that related nonsense. What do they mean? Cut back the existing tube on either end to no insert into the end castings. Weld another tube over the existing tube to match the OD of the end casting and install a larger diameter silicone boot on either side?

Not sure any of this is really necessary except for the rules. What have all you folks done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #17836 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re: Intake modification
If you have machined your case to surface it or cleaned up up your heads, ie,cut for increased compression, you will need to trim the ends of you intake mainfold the same amount or a bit more of the end castings will not fit flush and give you a vacumne leak.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #17838 by projectbaja
projectbaja replied the topic: Re: Intake modification
I got the milling length trimming figured out, but there is a part in the rule book that talks about the manifold:

"Intake manifolds must be stock VW. The cutting of the manifold to compensate for head milling is allowed but rewelding will not be allowed. Those manifolds that have been cut and rewelded, {wait a minute, didn't they just say 'no rewelding'? I guess we'll just weld and not re-weld} must be cut again and assembled by use of rubber hose and clamps or by other suitable method so that the interior of the manifold can be inspected during post race technical inspection."

Maybe I am over-thinking it, but just wondering if there is some sort of special slip-tube that I need to fabricate or if I can just trim my center manifold and put on high quality boots and clamps and get on with my life?

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #17869 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Re: Intake modification
Be done! Only thing you need to do to the manifold is trim it to compensate for flycutting the heads and/or decking the case for compression. IF you want to run a boost bottle, then you can add the 1/2" tube 2" below the carb flange (like an autostick manifold).

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #17873 by elburro
elburro replied the topic: Re: Intake modification
the slip tube allows you to run equal ID "boots" between castings and center section and eliminate the flimsy stock boot no mods to the inside of center section is allowed at all other than trimming the ends or a stub for a boost bottle.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #17897 by projectbaja
projectbaja replied the topic: Re: Intake modification
I just had the engine run at the builder. They fixed a few things, but they were unhappy with the trimming that I did on the center intake manifold section. They told me that without the end castings overlapping the mid section, the manifold will not stay sealed at those two junctions and is just inviting problems.

My question is:

How far back do you trim the manifold? (mine was pretty much even with the aluminum castings)

Should I go ahead with the manifold I trimmed and do the slip tube mod too?

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #17901 by elburro
yeah slide a +/- 1.5" tube whose ID is equal to the OD of the center section ,and whose OD is equal to the OD of the end castings(or machine them to a common fuel hose size) And then you can run gates fuel hose( big) for the "boots". or just use the stock boots and anchor the center section with the boss that bolts on to the case stud and/or use a strap that goes from the rear fuel pump stud to the rear carb stud. rear of car.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #17902 by elburro
Thats what they mean anyway...

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds