Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

Must have Class 11 Historic item

More
5 years 7 months ago #18242 by Weasel
Weasel created the topic: Must have Class 11 Historic item
First Place Trophy for the Baja 1000 1975 in Class 11....

Very cool item, a tad too much money for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #18243 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Re: Must have Class 11 Historic item
Holly cow!

DaveCo could make a fortune then!

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142

More
5 years 7 months ago #18244 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re: Must have Class 11 Historic item
No kidding. My mom threw away all my good suff. But then was just new junk cluttering up the house. Now nostalgic treasures.
Should have taken it all when I moved out...

More
5 years 7 months ago #18252 by Mr. Bill
Mr. Bill replied the topic: Re: Must have Class 11 Historic item
W O W ! ! !

"MR BILL" "OldManx"
DosPerrosMotorsports
Orange, CA.
'72 Class 11/Stock Bug

"......Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
Out here we is stoned - immaculate. ....."

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports/
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #18259 by DaveCo11
DaveCo11 replied the topic: Re: Must have Class 11 Historic item
Wanna know what really sucks, Dan Smith won Class 11 after Jim Houke was Dqed, Van who was a very good friend of mine finished 2nd, yours trully my dad and uncle Jack 3rd. Go To Trackside photos and look at the finish photos or maybe they are called color and you can see the class 11 finishers in the order they really finished, The row of winners where Jim Houkes car is still sitting in the winners row(soon to be booted out after a huge fight) there is photos of Dan Smiths crew tearing the engine out of his car(as I stood and watched at 14 my 2nd class 11 race after being in the car almost forever) and had to tear it down to the crank!! The fools who think class 11 should be like then are nothing but fools. Why in heck Dan was overlooked all these years is beyond me, there have been several winners listed for the 75 1000, Like Dave Beverly has been listed before, his is the brand new 0 miles 1975 bug built for class 11 that finished the 75 1000 with the fuel injection 100 percent intact. Van has been listed for decades as the winner. I know who won, I was there!
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by DaveCo11.

More
5 years 7 months ago #18260 by Weasel
Dave, Great story! Who's throphy do you think this is?

More
5 years 7 months ago #18261 by DaveCo11
Dan Passed on many years ago, and for the life of me I cant remember his co drivers name but he was older than Dan with bad skin on his face, you can see him working on the engine in tech also. I use to see him at all the races in the early to late 80s then He dissapierd.There is a picture on trackside of Dan holding the winning trophy at the awards. They gave 2 trophies per car, so it is either Dan Smiths or his co drivers. I am blown away that someone would give 10 grand for that trophy, do you really think Score gave high dollar trophies away at that time or ever LOL NO!!!! And it is obvious who ever sold it found Vans name on the list and bamo it was his LOL or Horsts LOL. My uncles is lost somewhere, some of mine burned when my garage cought fire

More
5 years 7 months ago #18262 by Weasel
I guess it is mystery for sure as to where it came from. Unfortunatly when people die many of the posessions that they had held dear to themselfs become someone elses trash.

Actually that throphy looks better than most of the pot metal gold finished junk that is given out but 10G's.
I agree who would pay that amount. Now if the car was in the offroad motorsports hall of fameif wouldbe a different story.

I enjoy looking at all the old race pics and stories. I still have a copy of the "Off Road Racer 1976" it was a great book then very cool to look through now. TheCollins Brothers, John Wright, Bob Gray, H Van Ells, and Snow Thornsborry are featured Class 11 guys and Rick Mears last year in Off Road Racing.

I was very surprised to see it on EBAY.

More
5 years 7 months ago #18263 by green booger
green booger replied the topic: Re: Must have Class 11 Historic item
This is a great story, Dave. You really should think about writing a book of your cumulative experiences through the decades of being the King. Be sure to use spell-check. ;) LOL

DaveCo11 wrote: Dan Passed on many years ago, and for the life of me I cant remember his co drivers name but he was older than Dan with bad skin on his face, you can see him working on the engine in tech also. I use to see him at all the races in the early to late 80s then He dissapierd.There is a picture on trackside of Dan holding the winning trophy at the awards. They gave 2 trophies per car, so it is either Dan Smiths or his co drivers. I am blown away that someone would give 10 grand for that trophy, do you really think Score gave high dollar trophies away at that time or ever LOL NO!!!! And it is obvious who ever sold it found Vans name on the list and bamo it was his LOL or Horsts LOL. My uncles is lost somewhere, some of mine burned when my garage cought fire

Gary Herrod
Two Larrys Racing
www.twolarrysracing.com

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #18264 by DaveCo11
Snow Thornsberry lives about 5 miles from me, Bob Grey is the originator of the fox shock, and left class 11 after the 77 Baja 1000 John Wright was a hired driver for Robert Sharbarth, he beat me at Riverside by about a half inch when I was 16 years old, I have a photo album with a thousand photos as my mom was part Japanese with the camera back then the Collins brothers were 11A or Arvra class 11 racers Budget Baja bugs and is the same Collins that drives Trophy trucks today and Mike Van Ells who owned U-drive carts, a go cart track in Anahiem was the go to guy in class 11 in the 70s and all these people were and are good friends of mine. I raced a few times as a kid with Van at the Mint 400 whose name shows 3 Mint 400 wins in a row 77-78-79. Nothing like today, 30-40 STOCK Vws were normal entry for a Mint 400 at that time. Nothing like 76, it seemed like everyone raced the 76 Mint. I honestly think it is insane to spend 10Gs on something like that, they also gave those out in the 1976 season and I think the one Ivan Stewart had for the 76 Baja 1000 overall win went for a few hundred dollars at the oction he had LOL. All I can think is maybe a relative saw it maybe, because what do you tell some one when they see it, oh some guy won that 38 years ago, did you know him? AAAH no!?!?!?
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by DaveCo11.

More
5 years 7 months ago #18265 by Weasel
So cool Dave. I love all this history. Do you remember I told you that Sherman Balch lived across the street from my cousins. We would walk home from school and watch him work on his green Jeep. We followed him to many races once we got our drivers licenses. Driving from the Bay Area to So Cal was quite the feat. Had to lie to our parents where we were. No cell phone and called ID then.

They had short course races at the Fremont Raceway in the old drag boat moat. That jeep of his got beat up pretty bad. Good thing for Archer Bros. givinghim lots of parts Crazy stuff. To bad I didn't have any money back then.

More
5 years 6 months ago #18266 by Oldschool5er
Oldschool5er replied the topic: Re: Must have Class 11 Historic item
Dave Beverly was part of all of us out of Dave Beesons place in Bellflower, Hank Roed, Sam Schull, myself all raced together between Dave's Class 6 Yankee Doodle and Hanks class 11 and 5/1600 Hank and Sam being Dave Beesons only Employee's.In 75 Dave was running Yankee Doodle in the B1k and I believe I have a podium picture from that but I will E-mail Dave Beverly and see if I can confirm the Trophy details. All of us are still in contact with each other except of course Hank and Dave Beeson who passed away. I know at least three of our Trophys are at Lenny Copps place in Fullerton as Hank was working for him when he died. I went there years back but did not have the heart to ask for them because Hank had been close to him also but not from Offroad racing history. Trophys I have from the 77,78 baja,Riverside and Parker races were never the quality of the one on Ebay and even it's asking price is ridiculus for what it is I think Dave is right this is not from who they say it is but I will try and match it up with one of ours and ask Dave what he thinks.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds