Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

040 Heads - Got any?

More
6 years 6 months ago #16774 by dzrtdave
dzrtdave created the topic: 040 Heads - Got any?
I was checking with my distributors for the shop and they say the 040s are gone. What now? In one of the posts it says 040s or oem replacement heads.

So is it 040s or any new casting?

Just moving forward at a snails pace :-)

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #16843 by dzrtdave
dzrtdave replied the topic: Re: 040 Heads - Got any?
Okay I found 2 sets of 040s I'm prepping them now. How deep should I make the fly cut on a step cut head center cut? 200 thousands? How many CCs should that get me? I don't want to botch them but I don't want to cut them 5 times each if I don't have to to find the bottom.

Dave

More
6 years 5 months ago #16851 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Re: 040 Heads - Got any?
0.180" will get you to around 30cc and should make 12:1 with 0.040" deck. 0.200" is pretty deep and will often cause cooling fin interference on your cylinders unless you cut off the entire bottom head fin set. You want to keep the cooling fins!

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

More
6 years 5 months ago #16852 by dzrtdave
Perfect - Thank you

More
6 years 5 months ago #16853 by dzrtdave
Do you step cut the heads or just cut out .180" ? I guess I'm asking do you negative deck height the pistons?

More
6 years 5 months ago #16864 by michaelbrenner
You can do all sorts of stuff and there are pros and cons to all, I don't do negative deck but it's not that tricky. With 0.040" deck and 30cc chambers you're up there at 12:1.

Again, I am not a professional engine or transaxle builder but that's the way I understand it. Also, consider having custom JE's made with a lower piston pin height so you don't have to trim the cylinders much to get your zero deck if going that route.

More
6 years 5 months ago #16867 by dzrtdave
I'm not a pro builder either. I do work at a shop and we build custom engines and they have for years. I sometimes build them for the shop if they need help. I did my first engine for myself back in the early 80's and have done many for my offroad cars and drag cars since then.

For our shops drag car we have Ross pistons make us our slugs. We have a 900hp naturally aspirated nitro VW based (pauter motor) car. They make the pistons for us for a little over $100 each (4" pistons) coated. I'm getting a bid from them for 85.5mm pistons. They don't include rings or pins but will make them to whatever spec you want. I was thinking of having the pins lowered so I was going to mock up an engine with stock slugs to see how much more we would need. I plan on leaving a little space for differing deck heights. I'll let you know what they come up with.

A zero deck engine without a step in the head sounds easiest as long as it doesn't effect the fins. I'm not looking for more than 12:1cr, probably right at that

More
6 years 5 months ago #16869 by michaelbrenner
PM me for custom piston info, I'm interested in helping you design a set and getting at least one set.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds