Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

Motor issues boggling me!

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #18073 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr created the topic: Motor issues boggling me!
Ok here is the story(long!)....

At the USA 500 I was jamming along in third gear at 3/4 throttle on a nice wide road. Trying not to push it too soon and save the car. All the sudden the motor hiccupped and began to stall. It still ran but not well. I pulled over to investigate what my limited knowledge would allow. Checked plug wires, distributor ect. Nothing obvious. Fired it back up and it still did not sound right. No knocking or anything, just not right. I figured we could make it to the pits so we putted along. It seemed to slowly go away to the point that it was sorta normal, so we ran it.

Well the motor seemed to get slower throughout the day until we were stopped. Motor just quit. First we change out the distrubutor and that did not help much. Check for spark and #3 is dead! So we pull the plugs and find #3 electrode is flat! No gap at all. So we put in a new plug. Fire it up all seems normal. We are on again only to have the car quit again later. The driver notes that car stopped and also that battery is getting low. We tow the car in, race is over for us. I figure we will have to push it on the trailer due to a dead battery but the car fires right up. Weird I thought. But it still ran rough.

So we get her home and start eliminating possibilities by just replacing with new. New coil, distributor, Petronix, air filter, even a new carburator. We do all this and car runs great! Battery seemed great. Yeah we fixed it....but I still cant seem to find the accelerator pump injector out of the old carb.

Then our next race comes last weekend. I did some jetting testing up and down a dirt road and went a little leaner(plug was dark) but still seemed rich but I left it alone. When I stopped and went to restart it would turn over but slow like the battery is low. Wierd? I made another jetting change and went to start it again and it turns over just fine. Huh.

Start of race. Were off and within a mile the car feels down on power. Soon it is pretty bad to the point we are struggling to get up any hill at all. We are also running a little hotter than normal. 220 it seemed to stay at no matter how fast or slow we tried to go. 230 on long struggling climbs. Normally it runs 190. Car doesn't sound bad, just no power. We had Propits spend twenty minutes on it and they cant figure it out. So we just figure we will struggle along and see how far we can make it. We go to fire it up and the battery seems low again. Motor turns slow so we get a bump start and it fires right up.

We pit and have the same problem with the motor/battery turning over slow. Nother bump start. From then on we pit with car running.

On the third of six, forty mile loops, car is still running slow but it is not getting any worse. Just a snail pace. At the end of it we pull into the pits. Gas up and I ask the crew to blow out the engine area with air.

We take off and all the sudden the car is back! All of the sudden it running great!Temp goes to normal.

So now we are lost. I do not know what is happening.

Not sure if you caught it but I did notice that the accelerator pump injector was missing on the old 30 PICT 1. I did not notice it was gone until after fumbling with the carb quit a bit and figure it is on my garage floor somewhere...

or is it? Is it possible that it could have been sucked into the cylinder and is still bouncing around causing my troubles?

Could the air have done something? We started with everything clean and aired out.

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by DirtDgr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #18085 by elburro
elburro replied the topic: Re: Motor issues boggling me!
Check out alternator wiring and connections to battery. Make sure coil and pertrnics unit is getting 12 volts. Aslo check battery and if over 2 years old replace it . also grounds to chassis and even to body of alternator. If your coil voltage is totally dependent on the alt. then blowing the silt out of it might explain the sudden return to fxn. These type of problems totally suck. See you at the races. EB

More
5 years 10 months ago #18086 by elburro
elburro replied the topic: Re: Motor issues boggling me!
Check out alternator wiring and connections to battery. Make sure coil and pertrnics unit is getting 12 volts. Aslo check battery and if over 2 years old replace it . also grounds to chassis and even to body of alternator. If your coil voltage is totally dependent on the alt. then blowing the silt out of it might explain the sudden return to fxn. These type of problems totally suck. See you at the races. EB

More
1 year 9 months ago #21572 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Motor issues boggling me!
Old post but I see I never got back with the problem!

It was the valve seats! They were in pieces! When it was took apart, they fell out in chunks. That's why it was intermittent. They would bounce around like gravel. Sometimes affecting valves. Sometimes not. :blink:

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds