what kind of cam are you guys running

More
10 years 9 months ago #3603 by Alex77
Alex77 created the topic: what kind of cam are you guys running
I'm gonna order the parts to start building my motor and i need to know what kind of cam are you guys running

also my car is gonna be street legal kind of a dayli driver and dont want to get something not ti wild

thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• just helping
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #3628 by just helping
just helping replied the topic: Re:what kind of cam are you guys running
ARE YOU GOING TO RUN HIGH COMPRESION OR LOW COMPRESION HOW LIGHT IS YOUR FLY WHEEL ALL THESE THINGS HAVE A DECIDING FACTOR ON WHICH CAM YOU USE I RUN A FAT FC415 CAM WITH A LOT OF COMPRESION THIS IS THE CAM FAT RUNS IN THERE 1/2 1600 MOTORS AND A 10 POUND FLY WHEEL MY DRIVING STYLE HAS THE MOTOR AT 4500 TO 6000 MOST OF THE TIME NOT ALL MOTORS ARE CAMED THIS WAY BUT IT SOOTS MY STYLE FINE YOU MIGHT TRY FATS CLASS 9 CAM AS IT IS MADE FOR LOWER COMPRESION MOTORS THAT RUN LOWER OCTAIN FUEL LIKE AT YOUR LOCAL GAS STATION GIVEN YOU MORE BOTTOM END AND PULLING POWER A LOT OF THE POWER FOR THESE 1600 ENGINES COMES FROM A COMBINATION OF CAM AND COMPRESION COMPLAMENTING EACH OTHER THE REAL LIGHT FLYWHEEL MAKES FOR MUCH BETTER THROTLE RESPONCE AND ACCELERATION BUT VERY LITTLE IN THE LUGGING DEPT THE CLASS 9 CAM WILL NOT REV LIKE THE FC415 BUT WILL LUG AND PULL YOU A LITTLE BETTER AND A HEAVYER FLYWHEEL WILL TAKE LONGER TO GET UP TO TOP END BUT ONCE THERE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO LET OFF THE GAS AND CARRY MORE SPEED WHEN YOU GO TO GET BACK ON THE GAS THE REAL LIGHT ONE CAN ACT KINDA LIKE A BRAKE AS YOU LET OFF THE GAS THE CAR REALLY SLOWS PLUS WITH A HEAVY FLY WHEEL YOU CAN MAYBE CARRY FOURTH GEAR WITH THE TALLER TIRES WHERE WITH THE LIGHT FLYWHEEL YOU CAN NOT LIKE I SAID IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CAM I KNOW PEOPLE READ USE 4TH GEAR AND LAUGH BUT IF YOU USED A VW CAM AND A FULL STOCK FLY WHEEL YOU COULD USE 4TH GEAR A LOT WHITH 700/15 TIRES BUT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TOP END AT ALL I KNOW IN THE OLD DAYS CLASS 11 HAD TO RUN COMPLETLY STOCK ENGINES COMPRESION CAM FLYWHEEL PISTONS EVERYTHING AND IN THE TOP SPEED WOULD GO AS FAST AS OR FASTER ON GRADED ROADS OR PAVEMENT THAN A SUPPED UP 11 MOTOR OF TODAY BUT THEY ACCELLERATED MUCH SLOWER THAN MY 11 MOTOR OF TODAY SO YOU CAN SEE THERE ARE A LOT OF DISSISIONS ON WHAT CAM YOU WANT TO RUN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DRIVE IT DECIDES A LOT SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR CAR AND I HOPE THIS HELPED SORRY IT WAS SO LONG BUT WANTED TO TRY AND EXPLANE ALL THE INS AND OUTS SO EVERYBODY COULD UNDERSTAND

More
10 years 9 months ago #4435 by DaveCo11
DaveCo11 replied the topic: Re:what kind of cam are you guys running
just helping wrote:

ARE YOU GOING TO RUN HIGH COMPRESION OR LOW COMPRESION HOW LIGHT IS YOUR FLY WHEEL ALL THESE THINGS HAVE A DECIDING FACTOR ON WHICH CAM YOU USE I RUN A FAT FC415 CAM WITH A LOT OF COMPRESION THIS IS THE CAM FAT RUNS IN THERE 1/2 1600 MOTORS AND A 10 POUND FLY WHEEL MY DRIVING STYLE HAS THE MOTOR AT 4500 TO 6000 MOST OF THE TIME NOT ALL MOTORS ARE CAMED THIS WAY BUT IT SOOTS MY STYLE FINE YOU MIGHT TRY FATS CLASS 9 CAM AS IT IS MADE FOR LOWER COMPRESION MOTORS THAT RUN LOWER OCTAIN FUEL LIKE AT YOUR LOCAL GAS STATION GIVEN YOU MORE BOTTOM END AND PULLING POWER A LOT OF THE POWER FOR THESE 1600 ENGINES COMES FROM A COMBINATION OF CAM AND COMPRESION COMPLAMENTING EACH OTHER THE REAL LIGHT FLYWHEEL MAKES FOR MUCH BETTER THROTLE RESPONCE AND ACCELERATION BUT VERY LITTLE IN THE LUGGING DEPT THE CLASS 9 CAM WILL NOT REV LIKE THE FC415 BUT WILL LUG AND PULL YOU A LITTLE BETTER AND A HEAVYER FLYWHEEL WILL TAKE LONGER TO GET UP TO TOP END BUT ONCE THERE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO LET OFF THE GAS AND CARRY MORE SPEED WHEN YOU GO TO GET BACK ON THE GAS THE REAL LIGHT ONE CAN ACT KINDA LIKE A BRAKE AS YOU LET OFF THE GAS THE CAR REALLY SLOWS PLUS WITH A HEAVY FLY WHEEL YOU CAN MAYBE CARRY FOURTH GEAR WITH THE TALLER TIRES WHERE WITH THE LIGHT FLYWHEEL YOU CAN NOT LIKE I SAID IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CAM I KNOW PEOPLE READ USE 4TH GEAR AND LAUGH BUT IF YOU USED A VW CAM AND A FULL STOCK FLY WHEEL YOU COULD USE 4TH GEAR A LOT WHITH 700/15 TIRES BUT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TOP END AT ALL I KNOW IN THE OLD DAYS CLASS 11 HAD TO RUN COMPLETLY STOCK ENGINES COMPRESION CAM FLYWHEEL PISTONS EVERYTHING AND IN THE TOP SPEED WOULD GO AS FAST AS OR FASTER ON GRADED ROADS OR PAVEMENT THAN A SUPPED UP 11 MOTOR OF TODAY BUT THEY ACCELLERATED MUCH SLOWER THAN MY 11 MOTOR OF TODAY SO YOU CAN SEE THERE ARE A LOT OF DISSISIONS ON WHAT CAM YOU WANT TO RUN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DRIVE IT DECIDES A LOT SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR CAR AND I HOPE THIS HELPED SORRY IT WAS SO LONG BUT WANTED TO TRY AND EXPLANE ALL THE INS AND OUTS SO EVERYBODY COULD UNDERSTAND----WELL NOW THAT VISITORS CANNOT POST ANY MORE YES THIS POST CAME FROM Dave-Co so this stuff has been learned over 32 years of racing class 11 if you followwhat i have posted you can pick the cam you want for your self good luck everybody on your class 11 cars I have just been trying to help out all the begginers or vetrans that are just not shure seeya:blush: ----Dave<br><br>Post edited by: DaveCo11, at: 2007/07/17 02:36

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Bill

More
10 years 9 months ago #4438 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re:what kind of cam are you guys running
We have the FAT Class 9 Challlenger cam and a lightened flywheel. Compression is low at 9.76 to 1. After about sixty on the flats there is no more power left to use. Our engine can pull easily in first and second and some have accidently started out in third gear.
The oil temp seldom is above 180 when running in flat ground. Our first race we averaged 19 mpg using a combo of 50/50 Race gas and 92 pump gas.
I doubt if this would work too well on the street.
Check out www.shoptalkforums.com or www.thesamba.com forums for engine combos that are proven for street and off roading.<br><br>Post edited by: Weasel, at: 2007/07/20 00:12

More
6 years 4 months ago #16775 by dzrtdave
dzrtdave replied the topic: Re:what kind of cam are you guys running

Weasel wrote: We have the FAT Class 9 Challlenger cam and a lightened flywheel. Compression is low at 9.76 to 1. After about sixty on the flats there is no more power left to use. Our engine can pull easily in first and second and some have accidently started out in third gear.
The oil temp seldom is above 180 when running in flat ground. Our first race we averaged 19 mpg using a combo of 50/50 Race gas and 92 pump gas.
I doubt if this would work too well on the street.
Check out www.shoptalkforums.com or www.thesamba.com forums for engine combos that are proven for street and off roading.<br><br>Post edited by: Weasel, at: 2007/07/20 00:12

Weasel - Does this still apply to your car?

Dave

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #16777 by Weasel
NO! We have fairly high compression around 11.5 to 1, run full race gas. Temps now run about a bit hotter like 15degrees in all situations. Get about 7 to 9 mpg. Also went to stock weight flywheel.
Car ran good but at the Rage and other landrush starts our original conservative motor was not keeping up with the higher compression motors. I will admit that the extra power on big hills is a plus.

If your starting from scratch build a DAVECO style motor.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Weasel. Reason: added text

More
6 years 4 months ago #16778 by dzrtdave
I am starting from scratch and trying not to waste too much of it on the way. I'm going to get a FAT cam and shoot for the mid 11s for my CR also.

Thanks

More
6 years 4 months ago #16783 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Re:what kind of cam are you guys running
build a daveco if you can drive that way, the throttle response is great but you have to have good foot control to drive it in deep sand/gravel to prevent stalling. That style of motor is faster, but harder to drive in my opinion. And yes, it will run hotter but proper jetting will solve that.

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

More
6 years 4 months ago #16784 by dzrtdave
I just got the FC411 a little more of a lugger but that should be good with the tire size. We'll see. I may build a short course motor also with the FC415 then I can compare.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16786 by Weasel
What I should have said is our engine is the same except much higher compression and stock flywheel. We like the cam that we have.

More
4 years 3 months ago #19399 by Victor Celaya
Victor Celaya replied the topic: what kind of cam are you guys running
On our old motor we used a ENGLE vZ 15 great high end HP with very good low end torque with 12 : 1 compression.

More
4 years 2 months ago #19401 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: what kind of cam are you guys running
Web 218 is similar to a VZ15 too.

More
1 year 6 months ago #21570 by 1054044
1054044 replied the topic: what kind of cam are you guys running
Anyone have experience running an Engle 110 cam with a 30pic? Will it work at all?

More
1 year 6 months ago #21576 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: what kind of cam are you guys running
Yes an engle 110 will work fine with almost any compression ratio and is a decent place to start. I don't think that specifically will hold you back, it will be something else B)

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds