Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

M P G

More
9 years 6 months ago #8234 by wanadune
wanadune created the topic: M P G
Jason and myself were trying to figure out what an aproximate miles per galon rating would be on a good class 11 motor. The math we came up with seemed really bad on our car after the last race, but we are not exactly sure how many miles we drove before the race so it is not a good number to go with. I would think it would be around maybe 10 mpg

Jeremy Altman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #8235 by Borrego Boy
Borrego Boy replied the topic: Re:M P G
Jeremy, I can't say what our mpg for this last 1000 was, but when we did the San Felipe 250 in March we started with a full 15 gal. of fuel. The majority of the time I was in 1st gear at 4000-5500 rpm's. The coarse was mostly deep sandy wash. An the last 24 miles of that I was driving on 2 left side flats. When I did stop at mile 72, the fuel gage was on E. So with those #'s our economy wasn't that great!!!!

www.rpm-racing.net
www.DAV.org
It's not a sport unless it has wheels!!!

More
9 years 6 months ago #8240 by DaveCo11
DaveCo11 replied the topic: Re:M P G
I figure no more than 7 MPG in my class 11 and 1600 cars and have found it to be so. Even when we were running completely stock motors the average was 9MPG MAX. As slow as my car ran at the nite race i still only got between 7-8 MPG and burned threw every gallon I took and thought I would forsure have some left over. I got home and checked and I was empty. These figures will be different for some, it all depends on driving style and how hard you RPM your motor all day. I know some that get 15-20MPG, some get 10. Main jet size can have a dramatic impact on your MPG. You wouldnt think going from a 135 to 145 would make much difference, but it can be a huge difference. Plaster city you have to run a bigger jet, on average in my cars I run a 150-160 main jet as well at San Felipi because there are places below sea level so your MPG will be a lot different than say Barstow or Primm where I run a 135-140 A lot of racers in class 11, 1600 and 5/1600 pay little attention to the main jet and use way more fuel than they should, running the same jet where ever they race. You can tell by the way the cars are loading up and belching smoke because it has way to big of a main jet for the altitude. I stopped being suprized long ago that some people never check and tune for a race, I carry jets in my pocket, and have changed jets durring a race out on course in Baja, as well as the states. In my opinion it never hurts to figure low on MPG and if your getting better MPG Great. I know to many people who try to pin it down to the last drop and have lost races they were leading by running out of gas because they thought wrong. It has happend to me. When I have run the San Felipi 250 in 1600 and 5/1600 I figure no more than 5 MPG for that area and have gotten no better than 3. It is trully amazing a 1600 VW motor could gulp down gas at the rate they do with that tiny carb and super tiny main jet.

More
9 years 6 months ago #8241 by wanadune
wanadune replied the topic: Re:M P G
well Dave with our math the 7 mpg sound right because after the last plaster city race we got around 6.5 mpg . It suprises me the gas this little 1600 gulps down

Jeremy Altman

More
9 years 6 months ago #8251 by DaveCo11
DaveCo11 replied the topic: Re:M P G
It is amazing how thirsty a 1600 can get

More
9 years 6 months ago #8263 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Re:M P G
Hey Jeremy, just slow it down a little and you'll get better mileage. Also, switch back to those 215's and you'll do better there too!

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds