Going with LED

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #17706 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr created the topic: Going with LED
Well I have decided to go with these for my lighting. The guys at Baja Designs assure me that this will be more than enough for class 11 speeds.

A 40" on the roof and a 20" on the bumper with a couple Fuegos with amber covers should be about right. Also have the stock headlights.

What do you guys think? I know they are a little "modern" looking for a bug but I need light and the Baja Designs people seem really cool and helpful and are giving me a good deal.

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by DirtDgr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #17708 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
Also our car does not have a dome light.

I have not raced at night yet.

Is it legal/good idea to put one in?

I would think it would be a good idea rather than having to fumble with a flashlight every time. I will carry one of course, but how do you find the flashlight in the dark?

Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #17710 by DaveCo11
DaveCo11 replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
I would not listen to the ok for class 11 speed thing, I would say Baja desinges have no clue. My class 11 will do over 90mph and out drives regular KC lights that are brighter than any HID lights I have used from Hella, Baja Desings etc when doing it. Go with what you feel, but I would not put that on my car. Ifyou are stuck on Baja Desing, Go with there small fuego lights, I used them on my 1600 car along with there big HID lights and found myself using the small lights exclusively. BUT they are very expensive. If I were to buy lights today for my class 11 I would go to Race Dezert .com go to the classified section, go to the parts forsale and buy the chines HID lights for 95 bucks each. I have them on my 4 seat 1600 pre run car and they put out every bit of light that Baja desings has to offer! for 95 dollors ea and 4 would be more than enough and I have had them on there for 2-3 years with a lot of miles and no issues
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by DaveCo11.

More
5 years 10 months ago #17711 by ronjon
ronjon replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
Dave,
That setup should work plenty fine. The one thing to watch out for is your light system drawing more power than your car can handle. Someone with electrical expertise than me can chime in on that.

2011 - VORRA Class Champions. 2012 - First loser.
http://www.desertdingo.com

More
5 years 10 months ago #17717 by DirtDgr

DaveCo11 wrote: I would not listen to the ok for class 11 speed thing, I would say Baja desinges have no clue. My class 11 will do over 90mph and out drives regular KC lights that are brighter than any HID lights I have used from Hella, Baja Desings etc when doing it. Go with what you feel, but I would not put that on my car. Ifyou are stuck on Baja Desing, Go with there small fuego lights, I used them on my 1600 car along with there big HID lights and found myself using the small lights exclusively. BUT they are very expensive. If I were to buy lights today for my class 11 I would go to Race Dezert .com go to the classified section, go to the parts forsale and buy the chines HID lights for 95 bucks each. I have them on my 4 seat 1600 pre run car and they put out every bit of light that Baja desings has to offer! for 95 dollors ea and 4 would be more than enough and I have had them on there for 2-3 years with a lot of miles and no issues

So you do 90 mph at night under race conditions?! Damn! I can't wait to race with you and try to keep you in site!

Hopefully I can get down that way next year.

Thanks for the insite. I have looked at the lights at Racedez but was affraid they were not good. Nice to know they hold up.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #17718 by DirtDgr

ronjon wrote: Dave,
That setup should work plenty fine. The one thing to watch out for is your light system drawing more power than your car can handle. Someone with electrical expertise than me can chime in on that.

"The plan"
40" LED roof is 6 amps
20" LED bumper is 3 amps
2 Fuego hid bumper w/amber covers 8 amps
total 17 amps

4-LaPaz hid 16 amps
2-Fuego hid 8 amps
total 24 amps

If "the plan" turns out to not be enough I can add a couple LaPaz on the roof and be right at 25 amps.

I really like the type of light the LED gives out. My thinking is that I may over drive them every once in awile. But most of the time we're in second gear doing 30 mph. I will see very well and be less likely to hurt the car by hitting stuff in the rough terrain.

Plus I like to do my own thing and learn the hard way! If the LED sucks then I will use them on our chase trucks and kick myself for not listening to DaveCo11!

Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by DirtDgr.

More
5 years 10 months ago #17727 by DaveCo11
DaveCo11 replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
I was only trying to save you money, that list cannot be cheap good luck

More
5 years 10 months ago #17733 by DirtDgr

DaveCo11 wrote: I was only trying to save you money, that list cannot be cheap good luck

I know that and very much appreciate it.

But our team is family. My blind ol man will be the other driver, my wife and almost 16 year old son, my little sister, and step mother are codogs.

So with all that cargo I want us to see well and be safe.

Plus Baja Designs is sponsoring me with a good deal on them.

More
5 years 10 months ago #17734 by paulfrenchy
paulfrenchy replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
I would look at rigid industries! They make awesome indestructible lights and the brightest and best LED you can get. They guys are awesome and I'm sure they can hook you up with a deal.

www.rigidindustries.com/

Call them up: 480.655.0100
or email them but they are awesome guys and they have a online sponsorship application as well.

PF

PF

More
5 years 10 months ago #17735 by DirtDgr

paulfrenchy wrote: I would look at rigid industries! They make awesome indestructible lights and the brightest and best LED you can get. They guys are awesome and I'm sure they can hook you up with a deal.

www.rigidindustries.com/

Call them up: 480.655.0100
or email them but they are awesome guys and they have a online sponsorship application as well.

PF

Thanks Paul! But I will be going with Baja Designs. They are making me a pretty good deal and have been very helpful and pretty generous with pricing on my lighting package. So far I am very pleased with them.

Its good to see some Class 11 support from both companies!

More
5 years 9 months ago #17805 by DirtDgr
Well lights are done! Its amazing how much time this stuff takes!

More
5 years 8 months ago #17903 by EnseNADAslim
EnseNADAslim replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
Looks GREAT! I was just looking into lights and decided to see what was up on C11C. Good post. Did you run this set up during the 500? I imagine you will be racing in Sept? Night Vision? We'll cya there!

More
5 years 8 months ago #17923 by DirtDgr

EnseNADAslim wrote: Looks GREAT! I was just looking into lights and decided to see what was up on C11C. Good post. Did you run this set up during the 500? I imagine you will be racing in Sept? Night Vision? We'll cya there!

Yes! They worked very well at the 500! Baja Designs set us up and I am a very happy customer.

We will see you at the September race for sure.

More
5 years 8 months ago #17926 by M.E.A.D. Racing
M.E.A.D. Racing replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
DirtDgr - what do you mean by Baja Designs set you up ??

Chuck Mead
M.E.A.D. Racing

619-520-8970

More
5 years 8 months ago #17932 by DirtDgr

M.E.A.D. Racing wrote: DirtDgr - what do you mean by Baja Designs set you up ??

They spent lots of time with me over the phone. More than most would. They were very patient in answering my many questions and my multiple calls from helping me decide what to go with, through install.

They gave me a sponsorship deal that knocked a good chunk of change off and threw in a few things too boot.

I am trying to hold up my end of the bargain and spreading the word!

They worked great in the USA 500. I will be giving them further testing in the "Night Vision" 250 coming up in September as well.

More
5 years 8 months ago #17942 by M.E.A.D. Racing
M.E.A.D. Racing replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
DirtDgr,
that is how you promote your vendors and suppliers,
good job!
Use Dingo Racing as a model how to promote your vendors and suppliers.
Check there website out, I think they have about every sponser you can get - lol
Ron Jons team diffinetly knows how to advertise there vendors/suppliers products

Chuck Mead
M.E.A.D. Racing

619-520-8970

More
5 years 6 months ago #18099 by DirtDgr

More
5 years 6 months ago #18100 by ronjon
ronjon replied the topic: Re: Going with LED
Nice. We'll definitely be switching to LEDs for 2013

2011 - VORRA Class Champions. 2012 - First loser.
http://www.desertdingo.com

More
5 years 6 months ago #18106 by DirtDgr
You wouldn't like them. Dont do it!lol

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds