Driving Light patterens?

More
10 years 6 months ago #3776 by sCary
sCary created the topic: Driving Light patterens?
What is your opinion about driving light patterns? Pencil beam or fog? I'm thinking two pencil beams and one fog. HID are to damn expensive. I am goning 55 watts or better. 100 watt if I can find them.
sCary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #3778 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re:Driving Light patterens?
We have the Hella fog lights bumper height for night time dirving in dust and a seperate roof mounted set ( not on the car )of driving lights for low dust night driving.

I would like to have more rear facing light to pevent being nerfed. Our first race nerfing required a new deck lid, bumper, bumper brackets and alternator pulley. Either that or an impact initiated set of spike strips!<br><br>Post edited by: Weasel, at: 2007/07/05 10:56

• just helping
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #3796 by just helping
just helping replied the topic: Re:Driving Light patterens?
the lower the light the better pencils on the front of the car with the stock head lights high and low beam wired together work great put 2-4 150 kc day lighters on the bumper any higher they dont work as good and on the roof do not work well at all (even though i have 5)going across drylake beds the roof lights work great for picking up the reflector markings that your lower lights dont pick up as well(thats why the 5 lights)lol hope this helps dont use a 100 halegen or any other halegen for that matter and beleave me HID lights dont put out near as much light as you think I have driven many cars with HID lights and the 150 kc daylighter puts out more useable light than a HID everybody I know that has been dumb enough to buy HID LIGHTS TRY THERE BEST TO SAY THEY PUT OUT MORE LITE(if I paid aprox500 dollors per light I would to)but i say no way the only good thing about a HID is they take less amps to run but your vw altonator will have no problem running 4 150 daylighters and the stock lights together good luck with your car

More
6 years 1 month ago #16837 by paulfrenchy
paulfrenchy replied the topic: Re:Driving Light patterens?
For SCORE, do we need to run lights in stock location,(not necessarily stock lights)? or can we not put any lights there so if we lose our fender we don't also lose the light...?

PF

More
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #16840 by M.E.A.D. Racing
M.E.A.D. Racing replied the topic: Re: Driving Light patterens?
You can get 1 - 50 watt offroad light for $9.99 at Harbor Freight tools, same houseing as KC modify with bolts.
you can get 2- 100 watt offroad lights at pepboys for $40, same houseing as KC modify with bolts
Both of these lights use the same install of the bulb as KC bulbs.
Purchase KC 100 bulb replacements and install them in thes houseings and you have the cheapest best lights around.
So this is what I did.
I purchased 4 Harbor freight tool offroad lights for $9.99 each and replaced the bulbs with KC daylighter bulbs.
Done.
I also installed 2 round hellas with wide beams to see to the sides.
For Cosmetics Keep all your lights round, VW bugs are round in shape.
Trucks are square, you put square lights on a vw something is wrong lol.

Keep lights low, All Rally cars that race at night travel at speeds faster than offroad race cars and never have lights overhead, too much glare.
Lights overhead are only good temproary to look up hills, and reflectors across flat deserts/lakebeds.
I have a switch for each pair of lights.
ALSO street drivers
Offroad Warehouse house sells stock vw bug replacement bulbs that at highbeam are at 100 watts and low beam is at 65 watts,
Racing keep the high beam on and you have 100 watt power shooting off your stock lights

Chuck Mead
M.E.A.D. Racing

619-520-8970
Last Edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by M.E.A.D. Racing.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #16841 by dzrtdave
dzrtdave replied the topic: Re: Driving Light patterens?
I have a set of EMPI H4 replacement bulbs (part # 9311) in my '65 driver. Only $14.95. They are REALLY bright. Brighter than some off road lights I have had and run in the stock bulb location.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by dzrtdave.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16844 by paulfrenchy
paulfrenchy replied the topic: Re: Driving Light patterens?
Our tires are about 30" so they rub on the stock bulb housing which is why i ask how many of you suggest mounting in stock location to not lose front lights?

Thanks
Paul

PF

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16845 by dzrtdave
dzrtdave replied the topic: Re: Driving Light patterens?
There is a bit of clearancing that can be done on the bucket to help keep the tires out of it.

Hey Paul, I checked out your Baja site - Cool

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16846 by paulfrenchy
Would grinding the bucket down a bit help?

PF

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16847 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re: Driving Light patterens?
Just us a 5 lb hammer to dimple the light bucket.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16848 by paulfrenchy
I like that idea!

PF

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds