Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

Battery Box

More
10 years 9 months ago #4535 by Gotdirty22
Gotdirty22 created the topic: Battery Box
We're wondering if you all are enclosing the battery if it is located inside the drivers compartment. We are going to use a gell cell type battery and wonder if it needs to be totally enclosed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #4537 by wanadune
wanadune replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
i have seen cars racing in our class with and without boxes

Jeremy Altman

More
10 years 9 months ago #4540 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
According to SCORE Tec if the battery is in front of the firewall (towards the seats) it needs to be in a container, even an Optima.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4708 by dirt_rider93561
dirt_rider93561 replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
So that is what the SCORE Tec book means by their battery section. All i got out of it is that it needs to be enclosed and and relocated and that is all it says. So what are you guys doing with your battery?

1972 VW Bug class 11 in progress, 1973 VW Bug soon to be daily driver

More
10 years 7 months ago #4709 by Gotdirty22
Gotdirty22 replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
I guess to be \"Score-Legal\" we built mount's behind the seats to lift the battery off the pan. I guess we'll figure out a way to enclose them after installed using aluminum or maybe some plastic enclosure.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4712 by Weasel
That is what we did with the Optima battery. Lifted it onto a mount on top of the shift tunnel and cage passenger side runner. We used the EMPI Otpima mount enclosed in a plastic RV / Marine box. Seemed over kill as the Optima can be shipped UPS and Fedex in a cardboard box as non-hazardous material.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4715 by Gotdirty22
Gotdirty22 replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
Yeah thats about what I'm doing. Which Optima battery are you running, and does it seem to support your system ok? I think they have different variations of the gel cell right?

More
10 years 7 months ago #4717 by Weasel
It's the red one that fits the EMPI bracket. Best price was at COSTO.
Check out my post on electrical demands. We have the stock alternator and have about 10 amps in reserve when running everything except roof lights, but including the oil cooler fan.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5766 by pvmini
pvmini replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
The current SCORE rule book states that the battery must be relocated in class 11. where do most of the racers relocate it to? Does any one mount it up front where the stock spare tire goes---if not why? I'am new at this--thanks for any help I can get.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5767 by pvmini
pvmini replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
The current SCORE rule book states that the battery must be relocated in class 11. where do most of the racers relocate it to? Does any one mount it up front where the stock spare tire goes---if not why? I'am new at this--thanks for any help I can get.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5769 by bugged
bugged replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
ours is on the parcel tray behind the fuel cell.

D.U.A.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #5770 by bugged
bugged replied the topic: Re:Battery Box

D.U.A.
Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bugged.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5772 by Weasel
When SCORE says to relocate the battery, the intention is to move it off the floor where it is very likely to break loose, get damaaged and leak.
We are considering putting ours up fromt under the spare tire mount to off set some rear weight.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5773 by Weasel
When SCORE says to relocate the battery, the intention is to move it off the floor where it is very likely to break loose, get damaaged and leak.
We are considering putting ours up fromt under the spare tire mount to off set some rear weight.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5803 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
If you're running a stock style tank up front I would not mount the battery up there, that could be dangerous, race fuel overflow from a pitstop dripping onto the battery or battery area? Scarry. Would be interested to see one mounted up there. Are you meaning you could put it down low where the spare actually sits? That would be some custom mount for sure to fit in that area of the car. Mounting that far forward would also mean you would have 2 large gauge hot wires running the length of the car for the starter and the alternator output. I would only really worry about the starter hot wire since it is big.

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

More
10 years 2 months ago #5808 by Weasel
I think that Fixor has his battery mounted in the front, under the spare tire on top of the tunnel. As far as the current loss, a larger cable will work fine. The issue of a hot lead running through the car is valid. Good shielding and an 80 amp battery circuit breaker at the positive terminal should suffice.

More
7 years 7 months ago #13966 by M.E.A.D. Racing
M.E.A.D. Racing replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
I don not want to start a new post on this item.
What ever the rules say.
The battery if gel or water should be in a box for safety in the cab.
I am trying to figure it out..
Solid gel optium battery mount with a plastic box around it???
Do I have to weld steel posts&Brackets through a plastic box to mount the battery.
Then fill in the brackets slots and holes with acid proof silicon???
I have a nice solid mount for the optium battery but sourroundinig it in a box is another issue.
I need some engineering help on this one!
I am not going to mount a box and use a webing strap to hole the battery in the box. We want bolt down straps!
Please post a picture of a correct way to mount the battery with a box.
Thanks
M.E.A.D. Racing

Chuck Mead
M.E.A.D. Racing

619-520-8970

More
7 years 7 months ago #14002 by punkmonkey
punkmonkey replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
Personal opinion. Simply mount a battery box on the rear package tray above the transmission. Build a metal frame to trap the battery and fit it into the battery box. Bolt through the box, frame and body. Uae large fender washers or better long peices of 1/8" strap to spread out the load of the battery to the body. You are over thinking the problem. Consider the intent of teh rule. Prevent the battery from coming loose in a rollover, capture acid if the battery leaks and generally protect the passengers in the event of an accident.

More
7 years 7 months ago #14316 by porboy
porboy replied the topic: Re:Battery Box
punkmonkey wrote:

Personal opinion. Simply mount a battery box on the rear package tray above the transmission. Build a metal frame to trap the battery and fit it into the battery box. Bolt through the box, frame and body. Uae large fender washers or better long peices of 1/8" strap to spread out the load of the battery to the body. You are over thinking the problem. Consider the intent of teh rule. Prevent the battery from coming loose in a rollover, capture acid if the battery leaks and generally protect the passengers in the event of an accident.

Ours is basically mounted this way. We use pieces of all thread through the package tray with pices of metal underneath to distribute the load. The studs then pass through the plastic battery box. The batterry sits inside with a metal strap across the top which sits over the studs. We then use the webbing strap to hold the lid oh the plastic box.

<strong>Jason Gutzmer
#1130</strong>

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds