Greetings from San Antonio!

More
7 years 4 months ago #13039 by Rapzid
Rapzid created the topic: Greetings from San Antonio!
Hola! Like everyone else, I'm considering building a class 11 for the baja 1000. A guy at work has a 3 car garage and may be interested if we build it up from stock. I've done some reading, but I have a few questions and would appreciate it if anyone could take the time to answer them:

1. CAGE!!!?? I'm not convinced bending my own is the best idea. I'm confident I could do it, but just getting a proper bender would cost $$ and I would never use it again:( So, what are my kit/pre-built options? Would something like this work(the DOM or chromoly) shop.brokedickracing.com/BEETLE_p_9293.html ? If not, could somebody point me in the direction of some good SCORE legal cages?

2. What do I need to look for in purchasing the bug? There is a dealer in town that sells only used VW's, so I may go have a look.

3. What to I need to do to the drive train? Outside of most likely rebuilding the engine and trany..

4. Tires?

I'm trying to get a fairly compreshensive list together so I can develop an action plan. Any help would be appreciated, and please feel free to mention stuff I'm not including.

Thanks,
Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #13063 by dezertthing
dezertthing replied the topic: Re: Greetings from San Antonio!
Hi Greg,
I am in the middle of my build, so I thought I'd offer up some advice from another newbie.

1.While you could purchase a cage kit, I highly recomend the JD2 bender. You really don't need anything more fancy, and this will give you a tool that you can use forever.(like after you wad up your car)

2.I bought the '73 I'm building for $300. The car was completely stock and running, albeit a little rusty. I chose a late model for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I figured parts may be more plentiful and because the car may be a little fresher than an older one. I wouldn't spend more than $500 for a donor car.

3.&4. Do what I did, and read EVERY thread on this site. You will be amazed at how much info is stashed away in here, and pay special attention to what King Dave has to say.

Welcome aboard, and good luck.

Scott Small

tripleXeleven racing

XXX 11 Motorsports
www.facebook.com/tripleXeleven/?ref=tn_tnmn
'73 Class 11
Owner build in progress
John Davis built DP 1600

More
7 years 4 months ago #13064 by L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf replied the topic: Re: Greetings from San Antonio!
dezertthing wrote:

3.&4. Do what I did, and read EVERY thread on this site. You will be amazed at how much info is stashed away in here, and pay special attention to what King Dave has to say.

Welcome aboard, and good luck.

DITTO on this advice.

L

Amonster Motorsports
Class 11 # 1196 - Sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- BarnWerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

More
6 years 5 months ago #16010 by ffdfrontman
ffdfrontman replied the topic: Re: Greetings from San Antonio!
sorry to bring back from the dead as my first post, but finding people with a "Texas address" interested in "Desert Racing" is hard to come by.

PM sent, may or may not get a response.

Any other on lookers I am willing to work with anyone with the same drive and motivation to get a class 11 bug going in Texas. I have the time, money, some support.

To further hijack this thread.... I have seen post of getting together with guys at races, financially helping, physically helping, etc, I am in for this!!! ALL OF IT. I will help, pay, learn. It's been said by many other "I have been following this site and post for awhile now and thank each of you for the info, help, great post!"

Jereme

#1156 and #1157
MOOCH Racing & Peril Racing
Racing in partnership for the goals and awareness of Mt. of Olives Children's Village and Mission Network International.
#raceforthekids

More
6 years 5 months ago #16014 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Re: Greetings from San Antonio!
If your looking for someone to do your cage in Texas, call Chuck at BC Broncos or look up Team Endeavor's site. I have chased for both of these guys in the 1000. Even Bugged knows Chuck from BC Broncos...... (Old joke, Their Bronco nerfed Roberts 11 ca)

More
6 years 5 months ago #16015 by OMG Kenyon
OMG Kenyon replied the topic: Re: Greetings from San Antonio!
www.laivins.com/

^best fabricator I ever knew. I'm also on his website, behind the 3 blue mazdas. Be careful, you might end up with the nicest class 11 ever.

More
6 years 5 months ago #16016 by bugged
bugged replied the topic: Re: Greetings from San Antonio!
best part? I had a firefighter at the time working for me who loves broncos and bought all his parts from BC Bronco's so needless to say I gave him alot of crap about it.....

D.U.A.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds