Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

Buying my first class 11

More
2 years 5 months ago #21385 by Globalhub
Globalhub created the topic: Buying my first class 11
Hi, just joined last week.

Moving to Sierra Vista, AZ this week and am looking to score an old bug to race this summer. I see several "baja" bugs for sale in Tucson and would welcome any tips before I plunk down cash.

I know that the engine should be 1600 cc, no more. Anything else that you would consider to be a show stopper? I linked a couple of the ones I'm looking at below. Thank you.

tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5461674790.html
tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5469952753.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #21386 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Buying my first class 11
Not even close lol.

Both of those are far far from racing. Fine for grocery store runs and dirt roads.

Check Racedez classifieds.

An 11 will set you back 7-15 grand to buy depending how seasoned it is and spares.

A 5/1600 (baja bug) will run 12-20 grand.

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by DirtDgr.

More
2 years 5 months ago #21388 by Globalhub
Globalhub replied the topic: Buying my first class 11
Thanks. Besides this forum, can you recommend any other places to learn/read about class 11?

More
2 years 5 months ago #21389 by DirtDgr
This is pretty much it on the web. There is a bunch of info in here. But much of it only makes sense once you start racing and breaking a Class 11! At least that's how it was for me. Four or five years ago I started reading in here and had no clue what the heck most of it meant. Now I know a good portion but am still learning.

Go to a race. Get there early, like the day before, and people are always willing to answer questions. Take pictures of their car if its ok.

Offer to pay half the entry for a codriver seat.

Facebook has some class 11 info. Look for "Class 11 junkies" or "Class 11 racers". Lots of teams have facebook pages too. Look and "like" for "Meek Racing" "Two Larrys Racing" and others.

Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing

More
2 years 5 months ago #21395 by RCS
RCS replied the topic: Buying my first class 11
You may want to review some of the rule books for the different organizations, depending on which ones you want to race. Here are a couple links for SNORE and SCORE. Be aware that SCORE is all wacky and an 11 legal for SCORE may not be legal in SNORE or other organizations

www.snoreracing.net/images/rulebook/rulebook.pdf

score-international.com/class-11/

Also check out PepAzul, I think they are in Az. At least their tech section may give you an idea of what to look for:

pepeazul.com/tech-corner/

I am not recommending these, but here are some examples of class 11 for sale:

markmurrellmotorsports.com/

www.facebook.com/groups/49886867693/perm...k/10153366613022694/

www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.ph...md=details&id=105930
The following user(s) said Thank You: DirtDgr

More
2 years 5 months ago #21396 by DirtDgr

RCS wrote: You may want to review some of the rule books for the different organizations, depending on which ones you want to race. Here are a couple links for SNORE and SCORE. Be aware that SCORE is all wacky and an 11 legal for SCORE may not be legal in SNORE or other organizations

www.snoreracing.net/images/rulebook/rulebook.pdf

score-international.com/class-11/

Also check out PepAzul, I think they are in Az. At least their tech section may give you an idea of what to look for:

pepeazul.com/tech-corner/

I am not recommending these, but here are some examples of class 11 for sale:

markmurrellmotorsports.com/

www.facebook.com/groups/49886867693/perm...k/10153366613022694/

www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.ph...md=details&id=105930

Awesome! Good point!

More
2 years 5 months ago #21412 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Buying my first class 11

DirtDgr wrote: Go to a race. Get there early, like the day before, and people are always willing to answer questions. Take pictures of their car if its ok.

Great advice, it would be a bummer if you build a car for $15K to be competitive (yes it costs that much or more) and get into a race and realize you prefer drinking beer and watching races more than all the prep and money to race for bragging rights and purses that only get you to break even for the year.

I rode in DaveCo's '68 with his oldest son for my first experience, paying half of entry fee, we went about 30 miles and spun the splines out of the drum in the rear.....But I was hooked. Then I made friends with some other racers and would go work with them, trying to help out and do the crap work to get some experience and learn other perspectives since I didn't grow up racing or driving buggies.

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

More
2 years 5 months ago #21414 by J_BomBer
J_BomBer replied the topic: Buying my first class 11

michaelbrenner wrote:

DirtDgr wrote: Go to a race. Get there early, like the day before, and people are always willing to answer questions. Take pictures of their car if its ok.

I rode in DaveCo's '68 with his oldest son for my first experience, paying half of entry fee, we went about 30 miles and spun the splines out of the drum in the rear.....But I was hooked.

would love to see your reaction of the difference between our 67 and the 72

More
2 years 5 months ago #21431 by michaelbrenner
michaelbrenner replied the topic: Buying my first class 11

J_BomBer wrote:

michaelbrenner wrote:

I rode in DaveCo's '68 with his oldest son for my first experience, paying half of entry fee, we went about 30 miles and spun the splines out of the drum in the rear.....But I was hooked.

would love to see your reaction of the difference between our 67 and the 72

Take me for a ride then?!? I'm still closer to jockey sized than all but your GF & Bro. I wanted a ride at B@P on Saturday, you were roosting hard past me with those little tires!

2013 & 2017 SNORE Stock Bug Champs

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds