Spam Bots help and notify (09 May 2018)

Notice of recent new slug of bot memberships beware and contact info

Recommendations on brakes

More
1 year 10 months ago #21551 by PSmith
PSmith created the topic: Recommendations on brakes
The 1973 bug I am converting to a C11 came with discs up front and a leaking master cylinder; needless to say I'm going to have to replace nearly all of the braking components on the car.

For wheel cylinders should I follow the advice of Hibbard in the baja bugs book and run a 17mm in the front and 22mm in the back? What about 22mm cylinders all the way around (I like the idea of one part that fits all four corners of the car).

On the master cylinder, should I stick with the stock 19mm bore or upgrade to something larger?

Thanks in advance, I need to replace nearly all of the brake components on the car and I'd prefer to get it right the first time!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #21553 by DirtDgr
DirtDgr replied the topic: Recommendations on brakes
SCR15 Brakes Original VW type 1 drum brakes only on all wheels. Front and rear drums may not be interchanged. Any combination of brake linings allowed as long as stock dimensions are maintained. Any combination of VW master and wheel cylinders are allowed.

Mine are all stock sizes and locations. Slowing down a Class 11 is not a problem. Its getting them to go faster that's the hard part!

www.facebook.com/meekracing1142/
Thank You Lakeport Tire, Rugged Radios, Baja Designs, Sunoco, Two Larry's Racing
www.facebook.com/meekracing1142
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by DirtDgr.

More
1 year 10 months ago #21554 by dirtslinger
dirtslinger replied the topic: Recommendations on brakes
Well it's a problem for us right now, 3 days before we need to leave for a race.

I cannot get the air out of the rear lines, been working on it for 3 days!!!!!!

Back at it today after work with new wheel cylinders just incase one of them is sucking air.

More
1 year 10 months ago #21557 by wanadune
wanadune replied the topic: Recommendations on brakes
For the brake wheel cylinders some people like to run the rear cylinders in front and fronts in rear to. Changing the bias. Some people even put a bus master cylinder to help.

And for bleeding the brakes I found the vacumm hand bleeder works best for me. They have them at harbor freight or auto zone.

Jeremy Altman

More
1 year 9 months ago #21559 by rmackillop
rmackillop replied the topic: Recommendations on brakes
In the latest rule book, SCORE rules say "Brakes are OPEN." which means disc brakes are ok.

More
1 year 9 months ago #21560 by PSmith
PSmith replied the topic: Recommendations on brakes

rmackillop wrote: In the latest rule book, SCORE rules say "Brakes are OPEN." which means disc brakes are ok.

Correct, this car is being built to SNORE specifications though. My mistake for not mentioning that, we will be sticking with drums at all four corners.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds