Starting a class 11 build, parts collecting

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #21618 by barrelroll
barrelroll created the topic: Starting a class 11 build, parts collecting
I've been involved with chasing and prepping for 10 years, just never anything VW based. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a class 11 build and am going to start with picking up a couple lots of parts, getting parts prepped, and then pulling the trigger on a solid car missing a motor/ in project status once everything is ready to go in. The long term plan is to race the 1,000 once the car is dialed in, this isn't a "bucket list" build but more of a long term build a race program.

One of the lots has a 1600 dual port and the other is a '65, '69, '76, parts cars and a '71 pan. Both lots come with a ton of parts.I've seen how spares are huge in desert racing and we DNFed the 1,000 last year because our spare trailing arm was 6 hours away on the other side of the peninsula. My plan is to use the best parts of the lot to build the race car, acquire a bunch of spare parts, and sell what doesn't belong on a race car.

With the lot of parts I should have 3 Ball joint beams, 2 IRS transaxles, a complete 1600 dual port, a pile of sheet metal, a bunch of extra motor parts, and then a bunch of stuff that has no business being on an off road car like glass and interior parts.

I've Started to make lists of parts as far as what to keep and what to sell. Please give me some direction if this is the right stuff to keep

-Here's my list of stuff I plan on keeping everything of
-Brake Drums & wheel bearings
-Spindles
-Front Trailing Arms
-Steering Boxes
-Tie Rods
-Front beam Springs
-Rear Trailing Arms
-Solex 30 Carburetors
-Starters
-Alternators/ generators
-Distributors/ plug wires/ coils
-Pullies/ belts
-Rubber Brake Lines
-Master Cylinders
-Wheel Cylinders
-Clutches
-Clutch Cables
-Throttle Cables
-Transaxles
-Hardware
-4 Lug wheels

Stuff I think I only need 1 extra of in addition of 1 of everything for the race car
-Doors
-Fenders
-Hood/ deck lid
-Tail Lights
-Bumpers
-Roof
-Steering Column
-Beam
-Parts to build a spare motor

Stuff I'm not sure if I should keep/ how much I should keep
-Stock Torsion Bars
-Spring Plates
-Fly Wheels
-Shifter/ Clutch Linkage parts
-Engine Tin/ Fans
-Wiring Harnesses
-Switches
-Exhaust parts
-Intake parts
-Type 1 CV's/ axles shafts/ stub axles
-Brake backing plates/ shoes/ brake hardware

-Parts I plan on selling
-Glass
-Seats/ Door Panels/ Interior Parts
-Wiper parts
-Dash Parts
-Trim
-'65 Pan/ link pin beam/ transaxle
-Heater Parts
-Everything 6 volt
-Gas Tanks
-Multiples of stuff on the only keeping 1 list

What am I missing that I should be keeping?

What have you thrown out or sold and regret getting rid of?

Thanks a ton, once everything gets home I'll get a build thread started.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 days 5 hours ago #21619 by ffdfrontman
ffdfrontman replied the topic: Starting a class 11 build, parts collecting

barrelroll wrote: I've been involved with chasing and prepping for 10 years, just never anything VW based. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a class 11 build and am going to start with picking up a couple lots of parts, getting parts prepped, and then pulling the trigger on a solid car missing a motor/ in project status once everything is ready to go in. The long term plan is to race the 1,000 once the car is dialed in, this isn't a "bucket list" build but more of a long term build a race program.

One of the lots has a 1600 dual port and the other is a '65, '69, '76, parts cars and a '71 pan. Both lots come with a ton of parts.I've seen how spares are huge in desert racing and we DNFed the 1,000 last year because our spare trailing arm was 6 hours away on the other side of the peninsula. My plan is to use the best parts of the lot to build the race car, acquire a bunch of spare parts, and sell what doesn't belong on a race car.

With the lot of parts I should have 3 Ball joint beams, 2 IRS transaxles, a complete 1600 dual port, a pile of sheet metal, a bunch of extra motor parts, and then a bunch of stuff that has no business being on an off road car like glass and interior parts.

I've Started to make lists of parts as far as what to keep and what to sell. Please give me some direction if this is the right stuff to keep

-Brake Drums & wheel bearings
-Spindles
-Front Trailing Arms
-Steering Boxes
-Tie Rods
-Front beam Springs
-Rear Trailing Arms
-Solex 30 Carburetors
-Starters
-Alternators/ generators
-Distributors/ plug wires/ coils
-Pullies/ belts
-Rubber Brake Lines
-Master Cylinders
-Wheel Cylinders
-Clutches
-Clutch Cables
-Throttle Cables
-Transaxles
-Hardware
-4 Lug wheels

Stuff I think I only need 1 extra of in addition of 1 of everything for the race car
-Doors
-Fenders
-Hood/ deck lid
-Tail Lights
-Bumpers
-Roof
-Steering Column
-Beam
-Parts to build a spare motor

-Stock Torsion Bars
-Spring Plates
-Fly Wheels
-Shifter/ Clutch Linkage parts
-Engine Tin/ Fans
-Wiring Harnesses
-Switches
-Exhaust parts
-Intake parts
-Type 1 CV's/ axles shafts/ stub axles
-Brake backing plates/ shoes/ brake hardware

-Parts I plan on selling
-Glass
-Seats/ Door Panels/ Interior Parts
-Wiper parts
-Dash Parts
-Trim
-'65 Pan/ link pin beam/ transaxle
-Heater Parts
-Everything 6 volt
-Gas Tanks
-Multiples of stuff on the only keeping 1 list

What have you thrown out or sold and regret getting rid of?

Thanks a ton, once everything gets home I'll get a build thread started.

Hi and welcome. Quite the parts haul you got there. In my opinion not all 11s or VW bugs are the same, so some of your pproach is different in the sense of reverse engineering (getting the parts before the car). You could end of pigeon holing yourself to a very specific year car when you look for one. Not saying what you're doing is wrong, but limiting. To keep the thread in essence of your question I will respond to your list, but keep this in mind, some of the stuff you have may not be worth keeping at all because it will depend on how your car is setup, the year/type, or specific code/year/mfg date/location of MFG will be a difference in keep/sell/scrap

-Brake Drums & wheel bearings - drums keep them but you'll want specfic ones this is one of those some MFG years, VW types (even german) are better (stronger) than others. Whell bearings id maybe keep a set just to have but I buy new ones and refrain from using old/used ones in race prep.
-Spindles - will depend on your car who and how it is built, most 11s use a reinforced spindle or "modified" stock spindle so keep them until you get your car and see if any of what you have matches or have a reputable fabber machine the to match your car.
-Front Trailing Arms - yup keep a good set, sell the rest
-Steering Boxes - good to have a back up or 2, but again not knowing what year car youre going to end up with the sterring boxes can be different so keep them until you get a car then sell whats not on it.
-Tie Rods - yes good to have an extra set, or 2 made up ready to go (bolt on)
-Front beam Springs - my 2 cents, sell em, you will end up with leafs other than stock in a race car.
-Rear Trailing Arms - keep an extra set or 2. Work on boxing them in per rules or have a reputable fab shop experienced in 11s do it.
-Solex 30 Carburetors - yep kep 1 or 2, but as said above dont sell any of them till you get your car, not al S30s are the same.
-Starters - Keep 1 if you want, I have new one in reserve and new on race car. theyre cheap to not trust a used one.
-Alternators/ generators - Same as starters, unless you have a BOSCH 51amp or higher model sell them all, or keep one around and have it rebuilt regardless if it tests good or not. So far my most common failure is alternators.
-Distributors/ plug wires/ coils - 091? or Compufire or Petronix keep if not of tose 3 sell/scrap
-Pullies/ belts - wait till you get car match pully sizes, car will most likely have larger ALT pully or sand sealed crank pully which is not stock. keep the pully keys.
-Rubber Brake Lines - NO-TRASH
-Master Cylinders - keep one around, bench test it maybe even have it looked at gone through, this is another item I have a new primary and reserve.
-Wheel Cylinders -keep'em use em but dont trust em.
-Clutches - new? kennedy or race type clutch (3 or 4 puck)? if none of that scrap or sell. Pressureplate though keep 1 or 2.
-Clutch Cables - YES
-Throttle Cables - YES
-Transaxles - depends on the make, year, and where MFG. Keep them at least for cores or quick cash but most likely you will be hunting down a specific case. Post up what the numbers are on the case and we can help if theyre keepers or not.
-Hardware - YES
-4 Lug wheels - YES you can never have enough stock wheels.

-Doors - KEEP A SET!
-Fenders - KEEP FENDERS! you can and will never have enough, or you will be spending a lot of time between races beating out fenders. They are probably the most common item lost or heavily damaged in racing.
-Hood/ deck lid - Keep 1 of each if you want.
-Tail Lights - Keep a spare set - another dpends on year car you end up with.
-Bumpers - Keep a set front and rear
-Roof - NO SELL
-Steering Column - SELL, or keep a stock column if you plan on racing score or snore, snore only allows stock columns.
-Beam - mmmmm keep one around built and ready, to bolt in. Do they have adjusters or stock/straight?
-Parts to build a spare motor - what parts? Used or new? again i personally have trust issues with used mechanical/electrical parts.

-Stock Torsion Bars - SELL
-Spring Plates - KEEP some
-Fly Wheels - KEEP
-Shifter/ Clutch Linkage parts - KEEP SOME
-Engine Tin/ Fans - dpends on the car your get, motor in it, and oil cooling setup. Most run a dual oil coolers which require dog house tins.
-Wiring Harnesses - SELL-SCRAP
-Switches- Stock or sand sealed? SELL/SCRAP
-Exhaust parts - mmm what parts? depends on motor you build and how the car is fabbed for setup.
-Intake parts - ? Tower? keep a spare or 2.
-Type 1 CV's/ axles shafts/ stub axles - YES KEEP some/all of these.
-Brake backing plates/ shoes/ brake hardware - Se my comment on drums, depends on the year, MFG, etc some of them are slightly thicker than others depending where they were MFG by VW. trash the shoes you will want to use a race shoe.

-Parts I plan on selling - (anything fit for a 61 or 67 i will buy some? same with your fenders)
-Glass - some guys run glass in their cars or keep a set of glass to race.
-Seats/ Door Panels/ Interior Parts - SELL
-Wiper parts - SELL
-Dash Parts - sell
-Trim - sell
-'65 Pan/ link pin beam/ transaxle Send me the numbers off the transaxle, I might want to buy it off you for a none baja street bug I have.
-Heater Parts - SELL
-Everything 6 volt - SELL
-Gas Tanks - depends on your car, I run a stock tank if you plan on doing that keep one. Any of the tank the larger capacity one? 12.5 or 14 gal?
-Multiples of stuff on the only keeping 1 list.

What have you thrown out or sold and regret getting rid of? Fenders and 2 drums i didn't think i needed.

#1156 and #1157
MOOCH Racing & Peril Racing
Racing in partnership for the goals and awareness of Mt. of Olives Children's Village and Mission Network International.
#raceforthekids

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds